Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fat, Fatter, Rosanne Barr

This is journal entry 5 from chapter 2, on making wise choices. It was a great bit of reading, I am immediately hit with how I would never have time to sit down and spend such needed time on making decisions. Perhaps, one would only use this process on lifes more major choices.

The text is offering six statements (below in bold) and I am going to explore each statement as it applies to my situation immediately under the question in red.

What's my present situation?

In a word, FAT. Since retiring from figure skating in 1996 I have gained 50 pounds. I go back and forth thinking I was too thin when I skated and am healthy now, and not wanting to buy into the whole marketing idea that thin is beautiful. It is easier to accept yourself for who and what you are, and I am being lazy not wanting to put the effort into changing my eating habits and denying myself some of my favorite foods.

How would I like my situation to be?

Mainly I want to be healthy, and I am. I also would like to be more attractive, and to me that would be about 20 pounds lighter.

Do I have a choice here?

Absolutely!

What are my possible choices?
  • staying away from fast food
  • eating more veggies
  • cutting out fried foods
  • eating more fruit
  • water instead of sugary soft drinks
  • exercise
  • cutting back or eliminating snacking at night
  • more exercise
  • more water
What's the possible outcome of each possible choice?

All of the above possible choices would lend themselves to the goal of living more healthy and over time loosing weight. All are doable and easy in my fast life.

Which choices will I commit to doing?

All of the, why not. I will do it for a week and see how I do. After that, another week. I am not going to strive for a "goal weight" as it would be something else I have to keep up with, but the simple choices I made above will, in time, reduce my weight.

Doing the wise choice process above made me realize it is not that difficult, and did not take near as much time as I thought it would. I have mentioned time several times, as you can tell, time is precious to me so I really always try to make wise choices with my time.

That said, lets get on to the next reading and journal!

No comments: