Sunday, February 22, 2009

"....and the Oscar goes to"



I just realized the Oscars are on!

I only watch them every couple of years, and always enjoy them. Jon Stewart, one of my favorite comedians and a Oscar host, was funny and entertaining in the Emmy clip above. It is always a nice ice breaker when you can get a room full of people who are on pins and needles to nervously giggle and laugh. I think the most moving Oscar win came when Halle Berry won for Monster's Ball. You can watch the clip by clicking here. Before you watch it, get a tissue, I cry EVERY SINGLE TIME I watch it.

On to journal 6 of chapter 2 about the Inner Critic aka IC and the Inner Defender aka ID.

Write a sentence expressing a recent problem or event that upset you.

After a tragic Tuesday I missed school on Wednesday and we were out Thursday and Friday, and I spent this time mostly crying, upset and sleeping. I have lots of studying to do as well as errands and such, I feel like I wasted and lost a lot of time.

Write a list of three or more criticisms your Inner Critic (IC) might level against you as a result of this situation. Have your Inner Guide (IG) dispute each one immediately.

IC - You are such a procrastinator, you will fail in school for sure.

IG - You are hurting, allow yourself to grieve and know you will be okay.

IC - Your life is a mess, you will never pull it together.

IG - Your emotions are blown out of proportion because of your loss, your life is not a mess, in fact, you are on such good track. I am proud of you.

IC - You are fat and pathetic

IG - Again, this is your emotions running amok. You are not fat, but if you want to loose weight then do so, and you are hardly pathetic.

IC - Why do bad things always happen to me?

IG - Bad things happen to everyone, give yourself time to grieve and carry on. Good things happen to you also, you have many things to be grateful for.


Write a list of three or more criticisms your Inner Defender (ID) might level against someone else or life as a result of this situation. Have your Inner Guide (IG) dispute each one immediately.

ID - You have no control over anything in your life.

IG - You have complete control of your own life.

ID - After this past week of loafing you are sure to blow it at school.

IG - You needed to take a few days to sort yourself out and pull yourself together, and you are looking so rested. Get ready for a great week!

ID - Lack of money will set you up for failure for sure in school.

IG - Many people have achieved much more with much less than you. Stay in a mindset of being grateful and stay consistent with your studies, and everything will be fine.

ID - Your parents are millionaires and do not care if you fail, or they would help you more financially.

IG - Your parents, while maybe not the most conventional people on earth, do love you and want to see you succeed. They are proud of what you have done so far, and are excited about your future. Handing you money will not fix any problems you have real or imagined.

I have seen a shrink for years, so I am very versed in the power and damage of inner conversations. While it took a long time to sink in, once I realized this, once it clicked, I had major changes in my life for the better. For this knowledge and other wisdom I continue to learn, I am very grateful.

No comments: